Wetlands State Resource Locator
Note: Most states have enacted laws and regulations to protect wetlands. In many cases, these rules are established to define the state's role in the "404 permit/401 certification process." This process involves the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and your state environmental agency. To learn more about the wetlands permitting process go to the CICA /Permit page.
Primary State Wetlands Web Page. This web page should explain the state wetlands program and provide links to various wetlands resources.
Construction Permit Process - State Rules
- How Are Wetlands Activities Regulated by Tennessee? Wetlands are regulated under the Tennessee Water Quality Control Act. The Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) collect and analyze data on wetlands water quality. The state is currently implementing its Wetlands Conservation Strategy to offer greater administrative protection to wetlands.
- Mitigation Measures.
Wetland Regulatory Background Information
- Wetlands. Wetlands are areas inundated or saturated by surface or groundwater at a frequency and duration sufficient to support, and that under normal circumstances do support a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soil conditions. They have hydric soils and a dominance (at least 50%) of obligate hydrophytes.
- Wetland Categories. A goal of the Tennessee Wetland Conservation Strategy is to identify and prioritize unique, exceptionally high quality, or scarce wetland community types and sites for acquisition, and offer equally effective protection for these waters. The TDEC is responsible for developing a classification system and administrative rules that encompass all wetland types in the state. The agency must also designate uses for each wetlands type. The uses shall be based on the functions and values attributable to the wetland.
- Regulated Wetland Activities. The discharge of dredged and fill material cannot occur unless a permit is obtained.
- Exempt Wetland Activities.
Other Wetland Resources
- Water Environment Federation. The WEF Web site provides access to a wetlands related technical discussion area, as well as publications and other information on wetlands.
- Wetlands Regulation Center. The Wetlands Regulation Center Web site contains information on laws, policies and regulations concerning activities regulated under Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act.
- Association of State Wetland Managers. The Association of State Wetland Managers Web site provides information on wetlands news and events, including new regulations/legislation, upcoming conferences and events, publications, and more.
- Society of Wetland Scientists. The Society of Wetland Scientists Web site provides access to on-line scientific wetlands journals and a wetlands discussion forum, as well as information on upcoming wetlands conferences and events.
Select another state